Read Alouds

I had so much fun yesterday linking up about lesson planners and seeing all of the great ideas at The Teacher's Chair so I'm back for more! Today I'm sharing my favorite back to school read aloud. I absolutely LOVE Those Shoes by Maribeth Boelts.


For those who haven't read it, it's a story about a boy named Jeremy who wants the new, cool shoes that everyone is wearing at school. His family can't afford the new shoes so he ends up getting a pair at the thrift shop that are too small. It ends with a message about friendship and a great reminder at the beginning of the year about what is really important. It's also a great read aloud for teaching connections!

Read alouds are a huge part of my instruction in reader's and writer's workshop. I actually have a list of all of my favorite read alouds available in my TPT store and I update it as I have new favorites!  I've listed my favorites for reader's workshop, narrative writing, how-to books, and persuasive writing. I keep each on a separate page so I can slip it into that unit's file. If you are just starting your read aloud collection, there are some great ones on the list!

I have a special bin for my read alouds that the students need to check out from me if they want to read. I keep them filled with post-its that include my own thinking and examples to point out as I read the book to students. 



I can't wait to see everyone else's favorite read alouds!



2 comments:

  1. So glad I found your blog. Really enjoying reading it!

    I nominated you for the Liebster award :)
    Visit my blog at lovetolivelivetoteach.blogspot.com to see what to do to accept.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I am also a CA teacher. This is my seventh year teaching, but my first year in 4th! My district is trying to transition us into CCSS so I am trying to do more this year with it. I would love to hear how you use Reader's Workshop and still incorporate reading novels like Island and By the Great Horn Spoon.
    Emily

    ReplyDelete